Saturday, 15 March 2014

Significant learnings for Resourcing the Curriculum #1

This unit has been a challenge and a learning curve for me. Having never worked in a school library and not having current access to a school library, has meant that I have had little opportunity for professional dialogue with teacher librarians currently in the position, nor am I able to look at what is in place in my school, as I currently don't have one.

One of the things that concerns me, is that all of this very practical knowledge that I am gathering will have lain dormant for at least another 12-18 months, and will be hard to remember after I have completed another 3- 5 units. I want it to be readily available to use when I do start work as a teacher librarian, sometime in the not too distant future.

So, in order to be prepared, I have been creating a powerpoint document throughout the unit for my personal reference. I am finding this a very valuable resource, that should hold me in good stead with I start working in this role.

This post focuses on my learnings regarding Module 2 - building a balanced collection. I have not had any experience with bundled sets, or a standing orders service. These were new concepts for me. I benefited a lot from reading the comments of other students regarding their experience, or their school context. From the responses other students gave, I compiled a list of pros and cons for bundled sets and standing orders, which I hope should assist me when I am faced with making decisions around this area.

Pros
–Cost effective – can be cheaper than buying separate titles
–clear budgetary spending and forecasting of expenditure over the long term
–Time effective
–No selection involved – anyone can do it
–Exposure to unfamiliar titles
–Variety of titles
–Easy to build library collection
–Convenient
–Materials can be purchased according to specific content and age range
–Continual supply of up-to-date material
–Useful for new TL’s
–Regular delivery of new resources
–Only one license agreement required for multiple resources
–E-resources can be removed from collection by publisher with little notice
–Worthwhile if all staff on board with resource eg clickview
–Takes pressure of the TL being abreast of new /latest available resources
–Bulk nature makes them value for money
–A good starting point for embarking into e-books
–Can cater for a broad range of students / topic / interests
–
Cons
–Loss of control / lack of freedom of choice / loss of ability to select or deselect resources
–Inclusion of unsuitable / un-needed titles for clientele
–Titles included that may not be used by clientele: unsuitable, underutilised, under borrowed.
–Inclusion of lower quality titles
–Publisher / distributor driven
–Unrelated to curriculum content and therefore curriculum needs
–Relying on supplier to address curriculum needs
–Not driven by the needs of the teachers/students/community, the culture or values of the school, individual needs of students etc
–Duplication of resources already in the collection – not easy to return duplicate resources
–Does not take into account storage / access issues
–Narrow / pre-determined selection
–Can be costly
–Resource selection phase overlooked
–Looked in contract period eg 12 months often inflexible and expensive
–Limited titles and publishers
–Titles may be written for the purpose of publisher bundles and therefore may be of lower quality
–Locked into one supplier if  budget is limited
–Can use up the majority of a small libraries budget

–Expertise of TL is not facilitated

No comments:

Post a Comment